Chocolate Chip Butternut Spice Muffins


I made these to use up a squash that had been sitting around for a couple months.  (Love winter squash that last that way.)  I wasn't expecting too much.  I will be getting butternut squash more often now.  These are so tasty and moist that I can't eat just one at a time, I must have two.  At least the standard muffin tin size still makes it less than a costco muffin.  I heated one up for 6 year old S this morning.  She raised her eyebrows skeptically and slightly wrinkled her nose.  (They don't look like much.)  She said, "It looks okay...  It smells good...  Mmmmmm, it's delicious!"  I love her little dramatic pauses.  I haven't gotten R's reaction to them yet, she has one in her lunch box today and had the same skeptical reaction when I told her about it.  We'll find out shortly if they fly with her as well.  Well, they got an emphatic GOOD! with eyes wide open and a big smile.  And a request for more.

This was originally a pumpkin recipe, but the butternut squash is so mild flavored that this is a year round little spice muffin.  Almost a cupcake.  Slap some cream cheese frosting on there and it would qualify.  This batch made a baker's dozen muffins for me with the extra going in a custard cup.  The inside of these muffins is chock full of chocolate chips, but if you want to be fancy, you can sprinkle some on top of the batter to look extra pretty.

Update:  I have tried these with canned butternut squash that I found, and while they are still good and the girls like them, I prefer the fresh squash option.

Chocolate Chip Butternut Spice Muffins
makes a Baker's dozen 

2 large eggs
¼ cup coconut oil
245g (about 1 cup) cooked butternut squash, pureed
¼ cup milk
2/3 cup evaporated cane sugar
1¾ light spelt flour
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp ground allspice
½ cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.  Blend the eggs, coconut oil, squash, milk and sugar together in a blender or food processor.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, soda, spices and chocolate chips until thoroughly blended.  Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredient bowl and mix by spoon or whisk, just until combined and all the flour is moist.

Scoop the batter into the tins using a muffin scoop or large spoon.  The wells should be about ¾ full.  Baker for about 20 minutes or until light golden on top and done.  Cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool on a rack.  Delicious warm or room temperature.

Especially delicious warm and melty chocolatey with a glass of milk!

Inspired by Vitamix.

Comments

  1. These sound wonderful - I love that you combined them with the chocolate. What a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.